Tuesday, August 12, 2014

poem: Trapped

Trapped
I feel trapped.
I’m smothered, I can’t breathe
It’s hard to move, to get free
From life’s “obligations” and awkward conversations
From what I’m supposed to want, to do, to be
I want to be free
To be me
To be happy
To sing
To dance
To play
To cry
Society has created a box so heavily sealed by rules and regulations
“norms” and expectations
Expecting me to fit in the same size fits all life of everyone else when everyone else is nothing like me
My wishes and dreams, what do they mean, can I really “go after my dreams” live the “American dream”
Of years of stress and angst and tears and loans upon loans to begin my life as adult with a pile of debt
That I will carry in my mind on my back for years
While the bank makes millions off the interest.
The walls are closing in, I can’t breath

I’m trapped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment